Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Mexican and Peruvian encounter

Latinos we are a mix of a thousand (to be exagerated) races. We come from all sorts of backgrounds and that is what makes us a unique culture. You have to be either raised as such, or being born and raised in this rich culture to understand its deepest characteristics.

Going to grab lunch this afternoon, a Hispanic looking man was sitting close to my toddler son and me. He heard me talking in two languages, English and Spanish and nodded. Later on I think he couldn't resist asking me where I was from. (since I don't look like the typical Latina)....and I said "I am from Peru". (he said I am Mexican but everybody thinks I am Peruvian)... I was born and raised over there even though my family is Asian, but I am a Latina...and he said..."yes you are Latina".

He mentioned he thought I was my son's nanny! I did not take that in a negative way. On the contrary that make me think one more time how diverse our culture and people are. ¡Que vivan los Hispanos!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails